Wednesday, April 15, 2009

True Story #29384

The mall in my hometown had this fabulous new store called "Glamour Shots". Yes, you know the one I'm talking about. With it's flashy pink neon sign and glorious smell of aquanet, I was drawn to that place. I was all about signing up for free things so of course I put myself on the list to get some free pictures taken.

This was ages ago so I'm not sure how long it took them to pick me out of the raffle or whatever, but I ended up getting a call. Mind you I was in 6th grade, pre-braces and pretty much obsessed with all things Jonathan Taylor Thomas. My best friend and I traded off carrying around this crinkly old magazine centerfold of him from Tiger Beat magazine.

My older sister was feeling jealous so she made my mom bring her as well. I didn't mind because I knew my pictures were going to be fabulous and I was going to be famous somehow. Besides my sister was growing a really nice unibrow. In the bathroom I frantically searched for Nair to rid myself of the bleach blond fuzz on my legs. However, my mom found me as I was pouring the stinky goop into my hands. Unfortunately she thought I was too young and said no to Nair.

The day finally came! I went in and they did my hair, my makeup (pink lipstick, probably blue or green eyeshadow, and a coating of very orange concealer) and I transformed into the hottest 12 year old ever. Next came the best part - picking out my 3 outfits!!

In my memory I browsed through racks and racks of sequins, glitter, feathers, red suede, etc etc. I'm sure the rack was like 6 feet long and filled with ex prom queens throw-a-ways. But I recall being in heaven.

My three outfits, well tops, because that was all they were going to shoot (bummer)were some gems. The first was a red, white, and blue sequined blazer with mega shoulder pads, the second was a purple glitter sequined blazer, and the third was some awful denim and suede cowgirl jacket. My sister picked one out and the lady worker told us she thought it would be cute for us to pose together in it. I wanted to barf. How dare my sister intrude on my one true shining star moment that was going to propel me to Hollywood for a guest spot on "Home Improvement"?

Various picturs were taken while mall peeps wrestled to see the awesome-ness that was happening within the store. After the photos were taken we got to pick a couple and then the rest we had to pay for. Well my sister and I went a little crazy and made out mom buy at least 2 of each, unless we were mid-blink had lipstick on our teeth.

I still have the wallet sized photo I was going to send to JTT somewhere in my parent's house. It was of me in the purple sequined blazer professing my love for him and how we should meet and go out and get slurpees. I also asked him if his sitcom brothers felt like real brothers and if I could be his girlfriend.

I wonder why I never sent it to him?

1 comment: